Though exhausting, I love going to food tradeshows like the NYC Summer Fancy Food Show I was at this past weekend. It is where I got the inspiration to make this Harissa Lime Pasta. That, and, I’ve really been trying to include more easy and vegetarian recipes on the blog! Anyway, the great thing about going to these types of food shows is the amount of innovation you get to see across a variety of food products from snacks to dairy to meat alternatives. It’s also a great way to meet like-minded foodies, chefs, creators, and more. The list of what you’ll see and experience is endless and so are the samples. As a result, I ended up with a bag full of goodies to take home with me.
Part of me wanted to name this dish “Tradeshow Pasta,” but that doesn’t sound appetizing at all, now does it? I wanted to make a recipe that could take you less than 30 minutes, but still include a good kick of flavor. The brands I am using in this dish are Classico Tomato Basil Sauce, Mina Harissa, Sincerely Brigitte Tomato Basil Cheese (a must try!), and Fourth & Heart Ghee (which I snagged on my favorite online store, Nomad’s Marketplace). P.S. Use code TFK20 to save 20% off at nomadsmarketplace.com
I hope you enjoy making this easy pasta dish. If you do, show me on instagram by tagging me in a photo of your creation @thefamiliarkitchen I would love to see how this dish turns out for you!
Harissa Lime Pasta
- Large Pot
- Deep Skillet
- Penne Pasta, 1lb box, cooked or your choice of pasta
- Ghee, 2 tbsp
- Shallots, 3, thinly sliced
- Garlic, 10 cloves, minced
- Ginger, 1", minced
- Jaggery or Brown Sugar, 1 tbsp
- Tomato Basil Sauce (or any jarred sauce), 24oz I'm using Classico
- Harissa, 2 tbsp I like the Mina brand
- Garlic Basil Cheese, 1 cup, grated I'm using Sincerely Brigitte Cheese
- Pecorino Cheese, 1 cup, grated
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Chives, 1/2 cup, diced
Cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water (about 6 qt) to a rumbling boil and add in about 2 tbsp of salt to season the water. Once the water is at a rumbling boil, cook the pasta for about 10 minutes or until it's firm. Immediately drain the pasta water, saving about 1/2 cup of pasta water for later.
Make the sauce.
- In a deep skillet on medium high heat melt the ghee. Once the ghee is melted, add the shallots and saute. Once the shallots soften, add the ginger and garlic. Saute until soft and lightly golden. Reduce the heat to medium low and mix in the jaggery. Once the shallots, ginger, and garlic are coated in the jaggery, add in the sauce and harissa. When the sauce begins to lightly bubble, mix in the cheeses. Continue to stir until the cheese is completely melted and incorporated into the sauce.
Combine everything together.
- Add the cooked pasta noodles to the sauce. Mix everything together evenly, squeeze in fresh lime juice, and top with chives. Done!