One of the simplest side dishes we’d always have on our table was a vegetable thoran. A thoran is typically vegetable-based and made with a few spices along with fresh grated coconut. Mom would make good use of cabbage heads or all the green beans growing in our backyard by turning it into this savory side dish. One of my favorites though is carrot thoran.
There are a few ways to make this recipe. You can grate the carrots, slice them, dice them. Whatever you want! Sometimes when I am in a rush, I’ll even throw the carrots into my food processor and give it a few quick pulses to chop. I could eat this recipe on its own, but it goes great with a heaping spoon of matta rice with a ladle of moru poured on top and a good mango pickle. Yum!
If you have any more questions when making this Carrot Thoran recipe, definitely reach out to me @thefamiliarkitchen on instagram. Be sure to checkout my IGTV video for the step-by-step on how to make this. I’d LOVE to see how it turns out or if you put any creative spins on it! Be sure to tag me when you make it
If you like this recipe, you might also like my:
- Carrots, 10, peeled, medium dice
- Coconut Oil, 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds, 2 tsp
- Dried Red Chili Peppers, 2, broken in half
- Curry Leaves, 2 sprigs (12-15 leaves)
- Shallots, 2-3, medium sized, thinly sliced
- Green Chili Peppers, 2, slit longways
- Turmeric Powder, 1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut, fresh or frozen, 1 cup
- Salt, 2-3 tsp
Season the oil.
- In a saute pan on medium high heat, add the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, broken red chilis, and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds start popping, add in the shallots and green chilis and cook until soft/fragrant (about 2 minutes).
Cook the carrots.
- Now, add the carrots to the pan along with the turmeric. Reduce the heat to medium, mix well, and cover for about 3-4 minutes to let the carrots slightly soften.Once the carrots are just firm, uncover and add in the grated coconut. Stir and cook this, uncovered, until everything is combined well. Add salt. Done!